Sunday, August 27, 2006

Do the last thing first

Serendipitously I chanced on site offering a random selection of Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt's Oblique Strategies today, just before I did a google on wiki like blog.

Oblique strategies is a set of cards with suggestions for musicians searching for inspiration and ways to unblock creative impasses. And the card I drew?

"Do the last thing first".

'Hmm', I thought, 'I wonder if that has anything to say to me.....'

I was actually engaged in hunting down information pertaining to an interesting chunk of text I had found previously: "Some blogs allow the user to store reference pages as part of the blog just as some wikis."

So I did the last thing, googled for wiki like blog, something I should have done before I did the first thing, writing a post on wigi pages, wiki-like pages in a blog. Some interesting results emerged from my search. The best are summarised below. Of course, I should have done this search before, but just didn't have the right search string at the front of my brain. Duh: "Do the last thing first."

So, wiki-like features in blogs have been around, here are two references
  • Wikipedia on Blikis. I don't agree with the supposition that a true wiki is collaborative -- to me a wiki provides a way of structuring information that is typically collaboratively created and modified, but may be individually created and modified. There are many links to investigate on this page.
  • Martin Fowler's WhatIsABliki. He's using a homebrew system implemented in Ruby. However, Martin does not have a comment feature... hmmm, not a variant for me then. Incidentally Martin points to the term bliki as being coined by Ward Cunningham, inventor of wiki.
OK, so I haven't seen the bliki that I want to use yet; I'll keep looking. I know a fellow elearning colleague Mike Malloch (over at the KnowNet) wants to move their blogging software in an bliki-like direction later in the year. I'll be trying to supply some future-user input to them if I don't find what I want to support my learning style.

Now I'm off to do the last thing first for another project...

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean FitzGerald said...

I don't know if it's very blog-like, but have you had a look at TiddlyWiki?

Wed Aug 30, 07:55:00 AM GMT+1  
Blogger Mark It Quickly said...

Tiddlywiki is a strange beast, a wiki for personal use. Great for personal note taking. I have one on my laptop, unfortunately neglected.

The advantage to TiddlyWiki is that it doesn't require any installation, nor does it require a web server. One just downloads a TiddlyWiki and starts to edit it. For communal use, one could pass a TiddlyWiki around by email like a relay baton. For communal reading, it could be placed in a server's web space. But that's about it for communal use, I think.

Wed Aug 30, 09:03:00 AM GMT+1  

Post a Comment

<< Home